Below you will discover much more than just the best quotes about hikes.
You will find a new world, full of people who see mother nature differently.
Good hikers, know that hiking isn’t about walking distance, or if you are on a famous hiking trail. But trekking is about the beauty, the adventure, and the feeling it inspires inside of you. It doesn’t matter if it happens when you are on the best mountain hike or at a great place down the road from your house. And the best quotes about hikes can help you get the inspiration that YOU need.
Let’s look at the best hiking quotes. Inspired by trekking, hiking mountains, and visiting a national park. And taking in everything that mother nature has to offer.
And let me know what you think the best hiking quote is in the comments below.
The Best quotes about hikes
For those who love a hike. Or hiking captions these are some of the best hike quotes ever said.
“I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than trees.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
- “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” – Greg Child
- “Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” – Frank Herbert
- “For hiking is one of those things that you can only do when you have the determination in you.” – Unknown
- “People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.” – Edmund Hillary
- “The best thing one can do when it’s raining is to let it rain.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “It’s easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.” – Henry Ward Beech
- “Look deep into nature and you will understand everything better.” – Albert Einstein
- “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” – John Burroughs
- “Every twenty minutes on the Appalachian Trail, Katz and I walked farther than the average American walks in a week. For 93 percent of all trips outside the home, for whatever distance or whatever purpose, Americans now get in a car. On average, the total walking of an American these days – that’s walking of all types: from car to office, from office to car, around the supermarket and shopping malls – adds up to 1.4 miles a week…That’s ridiculous.” – Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
- “Carry as little as possible, but choose that little with care.” – Earl Shaffer
- “Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking. You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits.” – Cindy Ross
- “After a day’s walk, everything has twice its usual value.” – G.M. Trevelyan
- “You’re off to great places, today is your day. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Deep down, at the molecular heart of life, the trees and we are essentially identical.” – Carl Sagan
- “It had nothing to do with gear or footwear or the backpacking fads or philosophies of any particular era or even with getting from point A to point B. It had to do with how it felt to be in the wild. With what it was like to walk for miles with no reason other than to witness the accumulation of trees and meadows, mountains and deserts, streams and rocks, rivers and grasses, sunrises and sunsets. The experience was powerful and fundamental. It seemed to me that it had always felt like this to be a human in the wild, and as long as the wild existed it would always feel this way.” – Cheryl Strayed, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
Short Hiking Quotes
Short doesn’t mean bad. And you will see that even though they are small they are powerful. And still some of the best quotes about hikes.
- “Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” – Beverly Sills
- “Not all who wander are lost.” – JRR Tolkien
- “Nature is not a place to visit. It is home.” – Gary Snyder
- “The more you know, the less you need.” – Yvon Chouinard
- “To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
- “Leave the road, take the trails.” – Pythagoras
- “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
- “A walk in nature walks the soul back home.” – Mary Davis
- “The best view comes after the hardest climb.” – Unknown
Best Fall Hiking Quotes
These fall hiking quotes always get me in the mood for the holidays. And even remind me of the best quotes about October.
- “There is a pleasure in the pathless woods… I love not Man the less, but Nature more…” – Lord Byron
- “Only one who wanders finds new paths.” – Norwegian proverb
- “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” – L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
- “He found himself wondering at times, especially in autumn, about the wild lands…”- J.R.R. Tolkien
- “Hiking is not escapism; it’s realism. The people who choose to spend time outdoors are not running away from anything; we are returning to where we belong” – Jennifer Pharr Davis
Best Hiking Quotes for Instagram
Here are some of the best hiking captions for Instagram. And will help write the perfect social media post. Whether you want a funny hiking caption about trekking in New Zealand. Or exploring the United States. They also remind me of the best quotes about camping!
- Hiking is an expression of freedom and a way to remove yourself from the crowd. #hikingquotes
- The best hikes are the ones that aren’t so much hiking as they are wandering. They’re moments of discovery that never fail to surprise you.
- Hiking is a state of mind. It’s always different, every day-in the best way possible.
- Nature is the ultimate muse.
- Hiking is the most demanding activity you can do. It’s also the most fulfilling and wonderful thing that we can put our energy into. It’s not about reaching the summit or going fast, it’s about being in nature and appreciating it for what it is.
- When you’re hiking and the trail gets steep, don’t look down. Keep your eyes on the mountain ahead of you.
- Great things come to those who hike.
- A hike a day keeps my soul alive.
- Go, Hike, Explore. And you will discover all Mother Nature has to offer.
- “Remember to look up to the stars, not down to your feet.” – Stephen Hawking
Inspirational Hiking Quotes
- “If you think you’ve peaked, find a new mountain. – Unknown
- “Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.” – Sir Martin Conway
- “If you face the rest of your life with the spirit you show on the trail, it will have no choice but to yield the same kind of memories and dreams.” – Adrienne Hall, A Journey North: One Woman’s Story of Hiking the Appalachian Trail
- “Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough Jr.
“If you think you’ve peaked, find a new mountain. – Unknown
“Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.” – Sir Martin Conway
“If you face the rest of your life with the spirit you show on the trail, it will have no choice but to yield the same kind of memories and dreams.” – Adrienne Hall, A Journey North: One Woman’s Story of best hiking caption!
“Happy the man to whom every tree is a friend.” – John Muir
“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” – John Muir
“Come to the woods, for here is rest.” – John Muir
“In every walk in nature one receives far more than he seeks.” – John Muir
“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing the lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
“A walk in nature walks the soul back home.”-Mary Davis
“We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down.” – Robert Sweetgall
“Human life is far more important than just getting to the top of a mountain.”–Sir Edmund Hillary.
“When I go hiking and I get over the hill, that means I am past the hard part and there is a snack in my future.” – Ellen Degeneres Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. – Albert Einstein.
“The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.” – Robert Frost
“Walking takes longer… than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed.” – Gary Snyder
“I love to watch the fine mist of the night come on, The windows and the stars illumined, one by one, The rivers of dark smoke pour upward lazily…” – Rosalia de Castro
“Hiking is not escapism; it’s realism. The people who choose to spend time outdoors are not running away from anything; we are returning to where we belong.” – Sonja Yoerg
“In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.” – John Muir
“I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees.” – Henry David Thoreau
“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature, and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.” – Anne Frank
“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” – John Muir
“There is no glory in star or blossom till looked upon by a loving eye; There is no fragrance in April breezes till breathed with joy as they wander by.” – William C. Bryant
“When you remove the risk, you remove the challenge. When you remove the challenge, you wither on the vine.” – Alex Lowe
More Inspiring Quotes About Hiking
“On a hike, the days pass with the wind, the sun, the stars; movement is powered by a belly full of food and water, not a noxious tankful of fossil fuels. On a hike, you’re less a job title and more a human being” – Ken Ilgunas
“Hiking is the best workout!… You can hike for three hours and not even realize you’re working out. And, hiking alone lets me have some time to myself.” – Jamie Luner
“The long distance hiker, a breed set apart, From the likes of the usual pack. He’ll shoulder his gear, be hittin’ the trail” – M.J. Eberhart
“There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.”
― Ranulph Fiennes
““We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” -T.S. Eliot
favourite hiking quotes
“In life, it’s not where you go, it’s who you travel with.” – Charles Schulz
“We are all travelers in the wilderness of the world and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
“Nature is painting for us, day after day, pictures of infinite beauty.” – John Ruskin
“All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Motivational Quotes About Hikes
- “Go out, go out I beg of you And taste the beauty of the wild. Behold the miracle of the earth with all the wonder of a child.” – Edna Jaques
- “Fall down seven times and stand up eight.” – Japanese Proverb (This is also a great quote for those seeking a new beginning).
- “I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question.” – Harun Yahya
- “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you are climbing it.” – Andy Rooney
- “We should go forth on the shortest walk, perchance, in the spirit of undying adventure, never to return; prepared to send back our embalmed hearts only, as relics to our desolate kingdoms. If you are ready to leave father and mother, and brother and sister, and wife and child and friends, and never see them again; if you have paid your debts, and made your will, and settled all your affairs, and are a free man; then you are ready for a walk.” – Henry David Thoreau
john muir quotes on Hiking
John Muir has some of the best quotes about hikes out there. And since we was the force behind starting National Parks it isn’t surprising. Yep, that’s right, when we are enjoying the splendor of camping in Yosemite National Park. It is thanks to John Muir, and President Roosevelt.
- “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” – John Muir
- “Between every two pines there is a doorway to a new world.” – John Muir
- “The mountains are calling and I must go.” – John Muir
- “In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” – John Muir
- “The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” – John Muir
- “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir
Why the Best Quotes About Hikes Are Important
A hike is a great way to learn more about yourself. But it is better with people. This is why some of these are great friends quotes as well. So go trekking. Whether it is just outside your home town. Or Trekking in Nepal. And come up with the next best hiking caption!
Whether you are into long distance hiking, are an experienced mountain climber, or never hiked a day in your life. There is something for you in these motivation, wisdom, and funny hiking quotes. Because the real adventure is getting out in the fresh air and going on an adventure.
Enjoy these best quotes about hikes! And I hope you get out and have an adventure.